[FRIAM] FW: Fractal discussion Landscape-bird songs

Vladimyr Burachynsky vburach at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 25 03:50:38 EST 2017

Nick,
Thank-you and let's talk about the birds in their complex landscape. Are they hatched with the neural equipment to sing... or do they discriminate their most ideal voices from the orchestra, only after learning their father's voice?

Do they mimic the Caruso's among themselves and regale these stars with more  favorable advances

that leaves a large problem ... to sing in perfect mimicry  they would only confuse eachother and throw flowers at the wrong feet.

So as the birds can distinguish each other so we can distinguish opera stars. Does the Fractal component hide a unique cipher code?
Is it audibly detectable at great distance.
I am not much of a bird watcher anymore but can recall a few voices;  Ravens, Jays, Larks, Poor-wills/snipes? , Herons,Loons, ... That's a surprise I recall more than I thought at first. Not a very melodious group upon reflection, ah...If I close my eyes and concentrate they come alive again.

Only the crow  family in my experience tries to imitate other voices. Indeed I used to charm Ravens with my mimicry while working in the far north. I recall someone stating that Ravens could imitate the sound of a Honda Generator. But I can attest that they can change sounds as if they were speaking and the glass bell clang usually gets their attention. Crows do not like it so much since they fear Ravens. I suspect wolves understand some Raven calls. Just a northern perspective of mine.

I think the thread has merits and hope not to have caused anyone to spill a drink.
vib