[FRIAM] IS: Rhetoric in scientific arguments WAS: FW: Fractal discussion Landscape-bird songs

gepr gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 12:39:35 EST 2017

Well, OK. However, you already know that anything anyone ever says is and can only be from their perspective. Anyone who asserts to speak on behalf of all the authoritative experts in some field for all time is, then, a narcissist or confused. That implies that what you say below supports arguments from authority. I.e. we can't treat a lack of salve as an assertion of objectivity without implicitly asserting that every statement without such salve is fallacious.

Context _always_ matters, even in that most universal of science domains cosmology.

Re: writing for the ages, it would be a mistake to think of a mailing list or discussion forum as if the posters made serious attempt to curate and "deep dive" into their own psyche or professional career arc when they make their posts.  As Marcus pointed out awhile back, these low-overhead postings are supposed to be more like a discussion and less like a formal submission to a journal ... or a well-curated indefinitely defensable statement of one's carefully thought out opinion.

But I smell what I think is an intention, on your part, to focus on something like "authenticity".  And that relates to our long-running thread on realism.  To a Socratic post-modernist like myself, knowing only that we know nothing, most of my opinions are fleeting and ill thought out.  And I change my mind regularly enough.  So, were I to apply the overhead meta-content of "This is what I really believe" for every one of the (often) nonsensical brain farts I emit, that overhead would quickly swamp any potential content.  Instead, I try to form self-coherent _arguments_ about this or that, regardless of whether I believe those arguments or not. I also think it's a bit of a mistake to [hyper] focus on any kind of "authenticity" for any particular sentence, post, or set of concepts.

While I agree that universality (global coherence, anyway) is a worthy objective, it is far out of reach.  (And as the Hilbert program saw, perhaps even fundamentally flawed.)  But attempts at regions of local coherence have a long and glorious history of success.  Hence, it's irrelevant whether you or I really believe what we're saying at any given time.  What's more important is the extent to which the various sayings hang together (or not).