[FRIAM] Political tangents

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 15:36:42 EST 2017

Well, the cow<->Thielian boundary is ephemeral.  2 cows can reproduce to make a Thielian.  Thielian production is chaotic and polyphenic.  And that's likely to continue despite any widespread but non-catastrophic problem with the cattle population.  The Thielian epistocracy will need some threshold number of cattle in order to maintain a healthy rate of cow->Thielian production.  Likewise, they only need to educate a small subset of the cattle to maintain that cow->Thielian production.  We've got that infrastructure in place with high prestige, high competition, high cost schools like Stanford and the ivy leagues.  If we can make vouchers and charter schools ubiquitous, then we can hone the cow->Thielian production mechanism even further.

The ideology is packaged for the cattle as maximizing freedom (both positive -- free to make a sandwich -- and negative -- won't be punched in the face today).  But it's actually a crypto-epistocracy ... or perhaps crypto-oligarchy if you include the entire sensori-motor complex (not just the mind) in the predicate for inclusion.  The ideology is basically to raise the bar very high so that only the best cows can become Thielians.  And shape the bar so that only Thielian-shaped cows can breach it.

Once you're categorized as a Thielian, then you are free.  Until then, your fate is fragile.

The interesting questions for the vampire metaphor involve the caste system for the cattle.  Horror and sci-fi have thouroughly explored the Renfield and Igor tropes, as well as the characters who ingraciate themselves (by letting them feed) in the hopes a charitable Thielian will make them immortal one day.  And, of course, there's the classic Eloi-Morlock conception, wherein the Thielians are "born on 3rd base and think they hit a triple".  cf. Thiel's comment <https://www.cato-unbound.org/2009/04/13/peter-thiel/education-libertarian>: "Since 1920, the vast increase in welfare beneficiaries and the extension of the franchise to women — ... — have rendered the notion of 'capitalist democracy' into an oxymoron."

--
☣ glen