[FRIAM] Hope or Despair

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 8 01:21:16 EST 2017

Hey, Owen,

When I was 32 or so, I ran for the post of Planning Board Chair for the Town of New Braintree.  I was young and very idealistic about participatory democracy, and so I set as my goal to visit every house in Town to talk about the future of the Town, which was just small enough that that goal was plausible.   Like every small New England town, New  Braintree it was riven with factionalism and anger.  However, my hosts agreed upon one thing for sure:  “they” were responsible for all that was wrong with the Town.  Thing was, I never found out who “they” was.  I never even found a “We.”  Political unity existed only in the mind of those who saw themselves the victims of it.

It was about that year that the this cartoon appeared.

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/