[FRIAM] The year ahead

Gary Schiltz gary at naturesvisualarts.com
Sun Jan 8 15:24:55 EST 2017

What really worries me about the USA is how polarized the society there is,
so "mass resistance" will certainly, at least in the short term, increase
this polarization. From the standpoint of this on-the-fence liberal, it
would be nice to have the luxury to be able to see the "other side" as
being evil, so that I wouldn't care how they feel. The problem for me is
that I can't, since many of the people I grew up with, including nearly all
of my family, are part of that other side. And I see their point of view on
a lot of issues. No way could I ever support Trump, but a lot of good
people really do. And I don't know how to deal with this. I sure as hell
don't want to see another civil war, but sometimes I think the passions are
strong enough to instigate one.