[FRIAM] The year ahead

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jan 9 15:29:41 EST 2017

> Steve: You might like the RedNeck Liberal.
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTHsQd-vRXK1bp4vpifl6yA
Thanks!

His line: "being prejudiced against poor white poeple with a twang,
still counts as prejudiced"  hits home.

I might identify with "country" but not with "southern".  I hear the
voices of my relatives from KY and TN and all I can think of is
"ignorant, racist whackjob!"  but half of them are none of that and of
the other half, only a few are racist and a few more are ignorant
(though the former is a proper subset of the latter).

I identify more with a mixed culture of hispanic, native and anglo (not
just this area but other parts of NM/AZ) from the mountains and deserts
of the rocky mountain region.   I think the isolation of rural living
combined with the *extractive industy* is the main problem.   Rust
Belters and modern farmers every where seem pretty similar as well!