[FRIAM] Is the new president mentally ill?

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 10:04:22 EST 2017

Some of Obama's foreign policy adventures did great harm to this country.

One of the biggest problems with promoting impeachment is that
Vice-President Pence is a much smarter, more dangerous potential leader.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 12:11 AM, Nick Thompson <nickthompson at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Hi, Jochen,
>

> I tried a couple of weeks ago to get everybody worried about this and
> nobody bit.  Briefly, in the first few months Trump discovers that he
> cannot do anything domestically because … alas …. of the constitution.  He
> then promotes riots in the streets followed by the “reluctant” imposition
> of martial law.  Or, he turns to foreign policy and gets into a lovers spat
> with Putin and reaches for the football.
>

> The only comfort I have is that I knew people in 2008 and 2012 who were as
> afraid of Obama as I am of Trump, and nothing bad happened.  Well, nothing
> bad happened because of Obama.
>

> The problem may be that it’s SO scary that we don’t know where to start.
> There are demonstrations planned all over the country, locally this week,
> and in Washington after the Inauguration.  While these may prevent Trump
> from doing anything legislatively,  it surely does address the existential
> crisis that lurks beyond these early frustrations.
>

> According to the Constitution, the present may be declared incompetent by
> a majority of his senior administration … Cabinet, mostly I think.  But
> notice that he has stacked the cabinet with people who are, if anything,
> loonier than he is, so I very much doubt that any of them would vote to
> remove him.  Maddis, perhaps, but that’s about it.
>

> Impeachment is a very real possibility, but it takes a lot of time, and a
> crazy President has enormous power to make the country pay for trying.
>

> I have a few pro-Trumpers who reassure me that no rational man would take
> the kinds of risks that I fear, that like all bullies he will back down
> when he sees that his tantrums aren’t getting anywhere.  But what if he’s
> not a rational man?  What then?
>

> Nick
>

> Nicholas S. Thompson
>
> Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Biology
>
> Clark University
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
President, Center for Emergent Diplomacy
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
merlelefoff at gmail.com
mobile:  (303) 859-5609
skype:  merle.lelfkoff2