[FRIAM] Is the new president mentally ill?

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 21:54:29 EST 2017

What I am about to say may be controversial here.  I used to work in the
Psychiatry Department at the University of Pittsburgh Medical School and I
spent a number of years collaborating with psychiatrists and psychoanalysts.

Everyone is narcissistic to some degree and that is healthy.  However,
there are malignant forms of narcissism including Narcissistic Personality
Disorder.  People with that serious diagnosis are, as a rule, incapable of
caring about other people.  They feel an emptiness or loneliness that
cannot be relieved and they are usually untreatable.   The closest they can
come to caring is about their own children whom they perceive as appendages
of themselves.  They feel that a spouse is an acquired possession, like a
mansion or a Rolls-Royce.  This gives them little gratification however and
they frequently marry several times.

I am not formally trained in this topic and I am not offering an (amateur)
diagnosis of any particular person.

Frank

Frank Wimberly
Phone (505) 670-9918