[FRIAM] Cold War Jitters Resurface as U.S. Marines Arrive in Norway - The New York Times

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 13:26:40 EST 2017

Owen,
There is something oddly hilarious about it. What on earth do we think it
does to put 330 marines in Norway, and why is Russia even dignifying it
with comment, nevertheless "condemnation" or nuclear threats?

If I were Putin, or a Putin surrogate, and someone at a news conference
asked what I thought about the 330 Marines, I would just laugh for a few
minutes, then ask for the next question.

Here is a recent take by some military writers:
http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/6-things-that-330-marines-can-do-on-their-own

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps