[FRIAM] European Populism in the Age of Donald Trump - The New York Times

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Fri Jan 20 13:43:48 EST 2017

Interesting post on populist movements in Europe .. We Are Not Alone sorta
thing:
​    ​
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/05/world/europe/populism-in-age-of-trump.html

​A populist groundswell, newly bolstered by voters’ rejection of the
Italian government’s referendum on Sunday, has been building across Europe
since the global financial crisis, and it has found a voice in parties on
both ends of the political spectrum.​

​I found it interesting that Brexit & Trump also are not alone. Good,
simple dataviz, and nice article layout with a description of​ the 8
particular populist movements (neither Trump or Brexit), along with a brief
bio of the primary proponent of that movement.

   -- Owen

PS: ​For the techies: One of the authors, Jeremy Ashkenas, is a well known
JavaScript​ pioneer: CoffeeScript, Docco (Literate Programming), and
Underscore. He got a post at NYTimes as a data visualization expert and now
is one of the major reporters there.