[FRIAM] Nautilus: Investing Is More Luck Than Talent

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jan 20 16:53:52 EST 2017

Robert -

Marcus said:

>     I would say neoliberalism is trying to engineer biased coins that
>     land in a coordinated ways to build something more complex.   One
>     way is with trade laws.

You replied:
> I think I can partly agree with this statement ... about the biased
> coin thing.  That is the rigging, IMHO; by not making adjustments to
> the flow of wealth [akin to blood flow in a body] the system gets
> sicker and sicker. Our economic system is arguably sick now when you
> consider the body composed of constituents comprising the consumers in
> the system [the cells, keeping with the metaphor].  To be sure,
> government does not have to be the institution making the adjustments;
> the captains if industry should do this first to avoid any necessary
> government intervention.
In this metaphor, if it is apt, it would appear that the body of our
society (first world?) has gone into a sort of self-annihilation,
constricting blood flow to parts of the body, as if it doesn't
understand that the necrosis which offends it is *caused* by it's
treatment of the very organs or extremities it is causing to fail so
miserably?
> But, do we want to "live" in a world like that?  Or, can we evolve
> /consciously /as a society to find a more inclusive solution?  If it
> plays out as it has throughout history, the anser will be "not likely."
I think this is a candidate for my idea of "a good question".   And a
corollary might be "what does conscious evolution of a society even
mean?".   If we knew what it meant, it might just fall into place?   As
an abstraction it seems most useful as a stalking horse?