[FRIAM] Nautilus: Investing Is More Luck Than Talent

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Thu Jan 26 15:59:25 EST 2017

"I *did* enjoy hearing Chomsky answer this question at a NAFTA talk in ABQ 15 years ago with the simple statement "Socially Responsible
Investing is a contradiction in terms".   There was a loud titter among
the roughly 50% students and a deafening silence among the other 50% Yuppie/Academic/Retireds."

What exactly is the claim?   That property is theft?    That all investments ought to be public investments?  Or is it a weaker claim that, say, people or organizations should not be able to float along living off `earnings' from interest?   I think it is good if candidates just come right out with that as part of their platform.   Likewise, salary caps for doctors, lawyers, and so on.    It would take decades for it to gain much support, I think -- people have too much investment in American Dream type fantasies -- but it is worth proposing.

Marcus