[FRIAM] Globalism in the age of populism? .. & Open Source Software

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Thu Jan 26 21:10:50 EST 2017

With all our concerns about Trump, and the article on 8 European populist
..  10 if you include US and Brexit

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/05/world/europe/populism-in-age-of-trump.html

.. I oddly got thinking about "our" kind of globalism: the Friam & WedTech
lists, and open source Open Source Software and global communication.

I daily chat with pioneers in tech fields, most of whom are not in my state
or even my country .. if I can call it mine any more. And we get along just
fine and the whole is greater than the some of its parts.

I use GitHub to ask for an improvement in a software library. I use twitter
to ask a question of a technologist. I store my data world wide, often
which moves to be closer to the consumer. There are no walls, and there is
a lot of cooperation. My world I guess is not Populist.

I don't think that can be easily broken, but certainly Northern Korea has
done it, as have some others. US?

Don't most of us have the same experiences: Travel, co-workers, global
facilities and so on? That at least is a ray of hope.

   -- Owen