[FRIAM] Globalism in the age of populism? .. & Open Source Software

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Fri Jan 27 12:01:02 EST 2017

I think of "culture is what you take for granted" and you fine yourself a
bit taken aback or surprised when your culture stumbles across aspects in
other cultures that you *don't* take for granted. Not unpleasant or
threatening, just "oh, looka that!".

I think about what I called "our" kind of globalism as part of our culture,
one that takes for granted daily constructive interactive world wide (is
Friam Santa Fe or NM minority yet, or even close to US minority? .. I hope
so!).

This runs deep and we do and should take it for granted: Email, Twitter,
GitHub, Open Software issues & fixes, getting/giving help globally.

And I suspect all of us have a "second language" making it easier to be
more deeply involved with another geographical culture. For example, when I
read of the recent earthquakes in Italy, I sent email to friends w/in 80km
of the site asking if everything was OK (in Italian because they want me to
and are patient with my mistakes!). I bet lots of us also have these "take
for granted" instances of globalism.

I'm presuming this sort of globalism will not be easy to disrupt, even with
the new culture of populism. But it is why I find populism, 10 powerful
versions of it (see original post and skim/read the article), a bit
threatening. And not just Trump .. there are 9 more given the article.

   -- Owen