[FRIAM] Globalism in the age of populism? .. & Open Source Software

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Jan 27 14:04:33 EST 2017

< Hm.  I suppose it's reasonable to further circumscribe "elites" by saying that it simply _cannot_ have a definite referent.  When the particular populist sits down with someone like Hillary Clinton to quaff a pint and eat a hot dog, it's likely Clinton will be either removed as a member of the referent class or at least be considered "one of the good ones" or an accidental member of the "elites". >

On CNN, Van Jones has this series "The Messy Truth", where he plays (kind of annoyingly) the liberal apologist.  There's an interview with some coal mining folks from West Virginia talking about why they voted for Trump.  One of the participants, in an earlier television appearance during the campaign, had asked Hillary Clinton about her "We're going to put a lot of coal miners out of business" remark.   They don't show much of the original confrontation, but it wasn't clear if she actually had a chance to answer or took the opportunity.   All that is shown is that it was awkward.    Is there any heartfelt and reasoned answer that she could have given that would be more compelling than just eating hot dogs and drinking beer?  There is type of person that can be persuaded based on low-dimensional similarity and feelings of familiarity.   However, in my experience, there are also a few alphas in every blue-collar community like this that are trying to show they in charge.  This guy picked a fight in that setting because that's his place in his world, and it is important that his world stay small.

Marcus