[FRIAM] AI advance

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Jan 28 10:06:12 EST 2017

Fascinating!   I remember the broad discussions at the Cellular Automata
Conference here in 1984 on the challenges/opportunities of using a CA to
play GO.

I had an (unpublished of course) variation on Bill Gosper's HashLife
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashlife> which I hoped might be a good
basis for a  winning GO system back in those Pre Artificial Life days.

MIne used a less optimal subdivision (he did quad-tree, I used N-1
Patches).  The purpose was to make the memoization translation invariant
at all scales, not just binary orders of magnitude.   I was interested
in general in the problem of using the hash to help analyze the
computational complexity of a problem under solution based on the growth
of the hash table.

Through my colleague, Susan Stepney (who some of you know) in York, I
encouraged her grad student Jenny Owen to take this somewhere.  Alas,
she chose to work with the Gosper version which I still believe has the
unfortunate artifact of quad-tree/binary subdivision of the space,
missing *many* repeated patterns at scales and offsets not aligning with
the quad-tree.

Now we just need to teach it to play a mean game of "Go back to your
Golden Towers" in DC?

- Steve