[FRIAM] How we can make the COUNTRY great again

Gary Schiltz gary at naturesvisualarts.com
Sat Jan 28 20:46:53 EST 2017

I don't have much experience with the GEO providers, e.g. Hughes, but I
seem to remember that the minimum latency of about a quarter second round
trip imposed by the speed of light makes them very unpleasant to use for
VOIP, otherwise they are okay. Still, fiber is so much cheaper up until the
"last mile" (in urban areas), which more or less equates with the "last ten
miles" in rural areas. I have the impression that a lot of highways have
fiber optic along them, as the easements are already in place and they
connect urban areas capable of using the bandwidth from the fiber. But many
rural roads extend for many miles or tens of miles, with a few houses
widely scattered along them, so the cost of fiber is harder to justify
there. On flat land, microwave works very well with little investment in
towers, but the hillier the land is, the more towers and repeaters are
necessary. So something like Facebook's drone idea seems quite attractive:
use the drones as if they were extremely high towers, capable of relaying
signal from fiber optic connections along the highways down to those widely
scattered rural houses. One of the problems is keeping the antennas
aligned, since the airfoil-design drones need to keep moving to stay in the
air. I wonder if they have looked at using helium balloons for the lift,
and only use drone technology to stabilize them. That should work if the
wind is minimal at extremely high altitudes.