[FRIAM] [[Narcissism Again]again]

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Jan 29 10:25:03 EST 2017

Nick-

> Steve,
>
> For me, there are only two questions I want you to ask yourself:
>
> Is the Trump administration /likely to do/ things that will
> irrevocably decrease the quality of life of people you care about?

yes

> (How widely you cast that net is your business.)

It is ultimately my business, but the narrower I (or you, or Donald
Trump) casts it, the more likely that our "self" interest is going to
lead to small and unenlightened consequences.   I believe that Marcus
coined (or a least introduced it into this conversation) the idea that a
significant property of our (dis)loyal opposition is that they live in a
small world and do many things to seek to keep it that way.  Misogyny,
xenophobia, homophobia, are all acutely specific examples of this.

> And,
>
> Is there anything we can do to alter that probability in any small degree?

There are myriad things we can do and I think the problem is one of
finding focus and traction.  If I throw MY measly cash at the ACLU but
fail to show up at the processes required to get my local demigog (think
Susanna Martinez) out of office, then I may have made a less than
optimal decision.

I *think* your handwringing is merited, we DO have a BIG problem, but
*I* think that doing anything and everything you can think of is a good
start whilst seeking more optimal solutions that don't make us all feel
as helpless and without traction as many of us do?

- Steve