[FRIAM] [[Narcissism Again]again]

Pamela McCorduck pamela at well.com
Sun Jan 29 12:35:36 EST 2017

> On Jan 29, 2017, at 12:14 AM, Nick Thompson <nickthompson at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> So we’re stuck, right, Pamela?  There’s nothing we can do?  Just sit and take it?
>
> Nick

Oh no. Partly it’s self-correcting. Sherry Turkle (Reclaiming Conversation, and also a new Kindle single interview with Turkle by Paula Span—spend a buck and read it; it’s really interesting) reports on children who despise their parents’ absorption in a smartphone, and tell Turkle that they will raise their own children the way their parents *think* they’re raising their kids, not the way they actually are. The French government has declared that workers of all kinds must have private time, when they’re not available by electronic communication. (That seems to me so French, but hey, whatever works for your culture.)

Partly it takes some self-discipline. Turkle suggests all kinds of times out from technology—dinner time, before bed, that sort of thing. Partly it’s empty emotional calories, and the average person comes away thinking, is that all there is? And joins a book group of humans.

I’m not in despair.