[FRIAM] How we can make the COUNTRY great again

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Mon Jan 30 11:55:43 EST 2017

>> I would not like to be the helium drone trying to stay in one spot in a
> 120 knot jet stream,
>

> Nick

Hi Nick. ​The FAQ had a lot of interesting answers. Here's the one I also
had about staying in one place.​ My bet is the "weather" up there may be
more manageable for the flock?

​Project Loon is a global network of high altitude balloons. The balloons
ascend like weather balloons until they reach the stratosphere, where they
sail at an altitude of roughly 20 km (65,000 ft), safely above the
altitudes used for aviation. While weather balloons burst after only a few
hours in the air, Loon balloons are superpressured, allowing them to last
much longer. Loon balloons are also unique in that they can sail the wind
to travel where they need to go, they can coordinate with other balloons as
a flock, and their electronics are entirely solar powered.

   -- Owen