[FRIAM] More food for thought: Is There a Multidimensional Mathematical World Hidden in the Brain’s Computation?

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 14:09:50 EDT 2017

Algebraic topology and its applications are very important.  We are learning a little about it in our mathematical physics reading group (Baez:  Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity).  When I was an undergraduate at Berkeley I worked in the Math Library and consequently had a good deal of contact with the graduate students.  The most attractive area to most of them was algebraic topology and they were great admirers of E. H. Spanier who was working on a textbook in the area.  That book has been available for a long time now.

I am glad to know the field has applications in neural networks, which I didn’t know.

Frank

Frank C. Wimberly

140 Calle Ojo Feliz

Santa Fe, NM 87505