[FRIAM] Model, Metaphor, Analogy

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Sat Jul 8 06:11:04 EDT 2017

Alaska Air was fine, I rescheduled from the red-eye flight to the late
evening arrival.

The word I was groping after to describe the character -- or lack of
character -- of pattern matchers was:
------
op·por·tun·is·tic
ˌäpərt(y)o͞oˈnistik/
*adjective*

   1. exploiting chances offered by immediate circumstances without
   reference to a general plan or moral principle.
   "the change was cynical and opportunistic"
   - ECOLOGY
      (of a plant or animal) able to spread quickly in a previously
      unexploited habitat.
      - MEDICINE
      (of a microorganism or an infection caused by it) rarely affecting
      patients except in unusual circumstances, typically when the
immune system
      is depressed.

------
The latest issue of Science is a special issue on AI in scientific
research.  This article, http://science.sciencemag.org/content/357/6346/22,
is about making deep neural nets interpretable.

-- rec --