[FRIAM] Janus colloids

Carl Tollander carl at plektyx.com
Tue Jul 11 00:30:09 EDT 2017

Well, initially I was reminded of Bruce Sterling's novel "Distraction", in
which chemical manipulation of low levels of attention in neurons (The App)
reestablished a kind of involuntary multi-camerality.  OTOH, just about
everything these days initially reminds me of "Distraction".

Howsoever, reading the article leads me to a notion that native speakers of
less information-dense languages (for example, Japanese) have a greater
substantive self than native speakers of other languages due to the greater
attention to context required to make sense of any utterance.   Clearly
this notion is fraught, and while the Japanese language is one of my
current fields of study, I cannot quite bring myself to go there.
Nevertheless I think it introduces the problem of discounting language in
terms of discussing substance and vis-a-vis emergent selves.

As a sometime Buddhist, one (who?!) may discover a bit of bias re
substantive selves.   Though so must the Abrahamics.

carl