[FRIAM] the role of metaphor in scientific thought

Vladimyr vburach at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 20 23:30:56 EDT 2017

Glen,
I have never heard of SAGE or OCTAVE other than as a plant and a musical term. herpetophobia=Ophidiophobia ? I hope that was your intention...

Maple was used by Mathematica?  for the core of its symbolic computations But being pro-Canadian never switched over. We used to get Maple to convert itself to Fortran code
so there are routes available  There was lately a  flurry of interest from the Processing user groups in SuperEllipses recently . But they don't seem to have done much with multiple objects
with strange surfaces.  The way Maple uses libraries seems to have been adopted by Processing which is very awkward and just handling any one library is trickier than need be.
At least these libraries can now be used by  Python as well. Crossing domains I guess.

There may well be enough open Source code now to cobble together something like a math engine of sorts. Arduino looks very attractive and powerful enough to run robotics, but I can no longer
use my hands and gave up trying with the Rasberry Pi sitting on my desk. I'll stick to poking. I never quite found a mission for it.

I think before MatLab , I was using and ancient C++ , Zortech Compiler that featured M++ matrix libraries, very handy but all that has vanished and absorbed by Microsoft and made purposely
difficult. Funny you use the word "Tool chain" while the graphics people use "Pipe Line". I adapt slowly and reluctantly in all honesty.

Have you been keeping track of the "Topological Materials" news. They have some weird discoveries that should make for great changes. I guess I will have to supply code
for many other topological surfaces with abundant holes. Never expected this outcome,,, Warped Networks sounds like it belongs on a Tee Shirt.

Strange idea that networks can be stitched together to create something larger as a plaything...
Vladimyr