[FRIAM] Graph/Network discursion.

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jun 9 17:07:32 EDT 2017

Given that we have been splitting hairs on terminology, I wanted to at
least OPEN the topic that has been grazed over and over, and that is the
distinction between Model, Metaphor, and Analogy.

I specifically mean

 1. Mathematical Model <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_model>
 2. Conceptual Metaphor <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conceptual_metaphor>
 3. Formal Analogy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogy>

I don't know if this narrows it down enough to discuss but I think these
three terms have been bandied about loosely and widely enough lately to
deserve a little more explication?

I could rattle on for pages about my own usage/opinions/distinctions but
trust that would just pollute a thread before it had a chance to start,
if start it can.

A brief Google Search gave me THIS reference which looks promising, but
as usual, I'm not willing to go past a paywall or beg a
colleague/institution for access (I know LANL's reference library will
probably get this for me if I go in there!).

http://www.blackwellreference.com/public/tocnode?id=g9780631221081_chunk_g97806312210818