[FRIAM] IS: Does Complexity have a circularity problem WAS: Any non-biological complex systems?

Vladimyr vburach at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 9 20:51:20 EDT 2017

Nicholas,
I hear your plea and would come to your defense if we were closer.

I have a small story that explains my attitude to layer from an    Advanced Composite Engineering view point.
It took me probably 3 years to eradicate the word in my laboratory We were using various materials and filament
winding with robotic machines. The basic concept is to use lamina as a term to describe an entity with specific material properties.
When we talked about many lamina then we used the term laminae each was composed of any number of lamina
having a unique material property set and referenced to local and global coordinates. This aggressive language facilitated
structural analysis of complex structures. Each lamina had a designation to allow it to function within a laminate . no one really cared
very much about what a single lamina of unidirectional Carbon fiber thought of the terminology. What mattered was the finished structure
with interacting laminates and monolithic components to remain intact when used by people.

Layer is a word used by simpletons or illiterates that never have to  analyze why something failed and killed good people.
The Onion is a metaphor for some complicated word gamers or a hamburger condiment but one must specify which context before
breaking into a brawl.

We had other terms used at the same time as layer, such as plies from the lumber industry but they were easier to eradicate.

Our specificity was a consequence of our Mathematics and our robots. Matrix Stacking was the key procedure we used.
In our case no lamina ever penetrated another, until I violated the social norms and found a method to do so but that innovation
never found a mathematical support structure nor does it have a biological analogue.

The language seems to control the way your group thinks. English was my third language so I am not so biased about some words
as some of you seem. Now the conversation is sliding ever closer to my interests, graph theory and networks, though I seem unique
in seeing engineered structures as networks that can or cannot redistribute stress.

Since language can become a tool of Control Freaks I tend to favour 3D images to explain critical matters. They usually shut down the bickering.

But lately I have gone a bit rogue using stacks of images and video to try and explain what twirls in my head. Nicholas and Steve Smith
seem to be punching in the right direction. I ran into a problem with some of my code that was wholly unexpected and it actually
was the circularity condition. You had to view it from a certain location to see the Circularity , anywhere else you would see either columns or helices.

I had not specifically written the code to do any of these, my brain was jumping to conclusions.  I had the code on one screen and the graphics running beside on the left.

I had to spend hours staring and watching my own brain fight over which reality to accept. Evolution has left us many peculiar brain structures that were once useful but now
a hindrance.

Complexity may be real, but it may also be an unnatural effort for some brains. Words are nearly  useless in this arena. So well maybe are the 2D excel charts. Steve may just be accidentally
flattering my interests having recently been reading up on Graph Theory. Indeed I wonder about Nodes and unusual valences. To illustrate my own bent mental models I used
my mental models to write code and translate a Stack of Rectangular Matrices (6 in total) 28 rows and 162 columns  Each represents a Self Avoiding walk neither Eulerian or Hamiltonian,
or a little of each since I work in 3D at least. I did the unthinkable... I connected Nodes to Nodes of different Matrices, then I purged nodes only connected to those of each sheet. What remained
I plotted as surfaces in 3D. Then I converted these vertex positions into Object files .obj which now can be printed by 3D printers when scaled properly. So there gentleman I can now print my
Mad Mental Models but that is just the beginning I have established a methodology to distinguish rigid Body Motion from Growth and present them simultaneously. But now it get`s very weird,
To see the growth I had to do much fiddling with code. The growth must be synchronized to the  frame rate of the display. Or to my brain throughput capacity.
I have seen great Hollywood animations and may have repeated what is already well known but generally out of reach for academics. I use Processing to display these moving 3D objects with some difficulty
but it does work.

So take a look you may have to download

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjdC7pqwzaUUkyNFoHD7DbjevjZM

This Flower is the intersection of 5 Self Avoiding Walk Graphs in 3D space, each Matrix is tubular they are nested inside each other as like a Russian Doll.
Not an Onion .I applied a growth factor to a single region of the fifth matrix while moving the entire structure via rotation. Examination of any single Matrix would
never reveal the existence of the whole entity but a combination of any two would give the wrong conclusion but only some vague insight that something exists but not what it is.
Oh each frame is a complete 3D structure so this may mean the video is 4D yet you are seeing it on a 2D display device pretty good for a geezer.
Next each edge needs to be given some material properties amenable to change perhaps based on proximity.

I suppose any man that goes this far must be quite Mad Indeed , but I hope it helps keep us engaged and civil.
It looks like it may be possible to target each region with unique Growth Factors or engineering properties.

I hope this qualifies as useful.
vib