[FRIAM] Graph/Network discursion.

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jun 9 23:42:57 EDT 2017

Glen -

Thanks for the complementary concept of "labelled transition systems"
(generalization of "state diagram"?) to juxtapose with Graph and Network.
> The trouble with reduction to a unified ontology is also critical, because I think the majority of the problem we're struggling with (writ large) is reductionism, or more generally, monism/non-duality.  I think Aaronson makes the point nicely here:
>
>    Higher-level causation exists (but I wish it didn’t)
>    http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=3294
I'm wading... it is a rich soup.

> In microcosm, Nick's _latch_ onto the onion as metaphor for unorderable complexes is a symptom of the underlying problem that we use language (or conceptual structures) according to our temporally- and proximally-bound _purpose_.
A long-winded phrase for "context"?
>   Anyone who claims to work only with some sort of universal, Platonic truth is delusional or disingenuous.  A unification of that language is not only impossible, but if it were possible, it would be a kind of order-death (opposite of heat death).  Perfect and universal normalization to a single norm would paralyze us all.
I intuitively resonate with this but can't quite render it all down to
something fully rational.

> But, obviously given my crybaby tantrum about "level" vs. "layer", I believe _some_ resolution/alignment of language is necessary for any sort of progress/produce.  To me, a collaboratively produced document about complexity that comes from a small subset of this community that intuitively agrees already, with no friction in the process, would be a useless "yet another jargonal paper about complexity".
>
> So far, the useful friction I see is:
>
>    Russ: information is required
>    Stephen: nearly any physical system squeezed in the right way
>    Nick: gen-phen map
>    Eric: cumulative hierarchy
Wow!  I wish I could pull that out of the discussion so easily.  I'd
have a hard enough time validating (or refuting) this synopsis... but it
is helpful that you offer it.

> I don't think pressurizing this plurality into a unified "system of thought" will produce anything interesting.  But I _do_ think allowing them to flower/flesh out from a bare, common skeleton would be interesting _IF_ the fleshing out didn't lose the skeleton amongst the flowers or lose the flowers by over-emphasizing the skeleton.
Metaphors abound... maybe a rough allegorical analogy to Russ's original
question might be "do all useful/interesting metaphors ultimately ground
out in biology?"  I think Lakoff and Nunez might suggest so via their
"Embodiment of Mind" arguments?!

buh!
  - Steve