[FRIAM] tools, trollers, and language

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jun 12 15:34:54 EDT 2017

/*NST -*/

> */[NST==>I like “source” and “target”.  Let’s use these terms here on
> out.  “Domain” is probably unnecessary, and might lead to
> hand-waving.  I still hate “conceptual metaphor” as introducing
> potential for confusion.  Anytime you say “This thing is a That” you
> are invoking a conception – a “grasping-together”.   <==nst] /*

I wish I could stop splitting hairs with you, but it seems /built into/
this discussion (another metaphor, really?)!  I understand "domain" to
modify "source" and "target" to make it clear that what is being
discussed/considered/reasoned/intuited upon may be bigger than a single
"thing".  Perhaps the over-used onion needn't be referred to as more
than a source (or target) but if I were invoking a garden or landscape
*source* it is important that I'm talking about the whole ensemble of
likely/possible gardens or landscapes.  With onions, it seems easier to
imagine a singular canonical onion (unless your field of study is the
inner life of Alliums).   in fact when the humble Onion was first
invoked, I immediately abstracted (in my mind) to "bulb" with a nice big
fat juicy vidalia onion as the prototype of the moment for my
consideration, but including a wide range of bulbs, some more edible
than others.   We could certainly use "source" and "target" as shorthand
if we accept that the object of each is something more general/abstract
than a specific object.

If I read your gripe with "conceptual metaphor" correctly, it is that
"conception" already suggests ("grasping together") the metaphor?   I
use "conceptual metaphor" to specifically imply that the "target"
(domain) is in a more conceptual/abstract realm than literal/concrete.
the "source" (domain) may also be relatively abstract but I think for
utility is in some sense "closer to literal, or concrete" than the
target.   From Lakoff/Nunez, ultimately these layered/stacked metaphors
ground out in human perceptions... things we apprehend directly with our
senses...

"The price of nonsense in America has /risen/ in 2017" - /Rising/ is
from the conceptual domain of /directionality /which has affiliation
with the domain of simple geometry, and perhaps is apprehended more
directly perceptually by a human by our inner ear and other measures of
the gravity gradient.   I don't know if YOU feel an empty spot in your
gut when "the bottom of the stock market drops out", or a sense of
"elation" when the local housing bubble "elevates the value of your
family home" or not, I think many do.

> In the example at hand,  Glen invoked "an Onion" as the /source/
> domain in a metaphor to try to understand the more general and
> abstract target domain of /layer/.  Other /source/ domains (deposition
> layers, skin, geology) were offered as well to offer conceptual
> parallax on this.
>
> */[NST==>See how you suddenly got wobbly when you started using the
> word “domain”?  “Domain” is another metaphor and would require its own
> specification.  <==nst] /*

"Domain" is almost certainly a "borrow word" from another <ahem> domain,
that perhaps of political/economic/military control/influence.  But then
so seems "source" (as in a spring is the source of a creek) and "target"
(keep your eye on the target and your aim steady!).    I think that very
little of our language is not metaphorical, even if our awareness of it
as such is numbed by common usage.   "numbed", "usage", "awareness"
(perceptual v. conceptual?)

> I'm not sure if this is a rabbit hole
>
> */[NST==>Another metaphor, often used in such discussions (eg Owen’s
> “Troll” troll. ) to disparage attempts to clarify what a group of
> people is actually talking about.  <==nst] /*

Being one of those who is /chasing this rabbit,/ I'm not sure I am
intending to disparage anything... more likely give us /an out/ if we
realize we are discussing something of lesser interest/relevance and
/losing sight/ of the topic we were originally more interested in?   As
you can tell I am /game for/ (overly so?) discussing the meaning and
implications of the language we use, I'm just wondering if this is the
branch of the /branching/ discussion we are most interested in?

> *//*
>
> we fell down when we began to try to sort levels from layers.  I think
> the distinction is critical to the discussion (which is now nearly
> lost in this forest of trees of levels and layers?) but is not the
> discussion itself.   We digress within our digressions.
>
> Jenny and Dave and I are discussing amongst ourselves a live in-person
> "salon" of sorts to be held at Jenny's (in Santa Fe) on the the
> general topic of Models, Metaphors, and Analogy. Jenny and I have
> elected Dave to try to lead this, Jenny is providing chairs and
> shade.   I'm pulsing the locals for interest in participating... I'm
> only sorry Nick and Roger and Glen are so far away right now.   Got
> any (other) locals interested in chatting face to face on these
> topics? Wimberly?  Guerin?
>
> */[NST==>Oh, Gosh!  That I should miss this.  I would hope that at
> some point you would have a look my article
> <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228580530_Shifting_the_natural_selection_metaphor_to_the_group_level>
> on the confusions arising from the application of the natural
> selection metaphor to groups.  It’s a testy, difficult argument, with
> an unexpected and interesting result.  I wouldn’t expect anybody to
> load it entirely, but I do think it’s a good example of how tidying up
> metaphors can lead to a better understanding of issues. /*

I will give that a go, you have referenced it before and I expect it
might be a good /test case/ for some of our other /testiness/ here
<grin>.   I'm all for tidying metaphors where it is useful.

> */ Given that so many potentially absent people are interested, I
> would recommend organizing the conversation around a list.  If you
> haven’t done this by the time I get back in October, I could promise
> to organize a “seminar” of the “city university of santa Fe” on
> “scientific metaphors: their uses; their perils”.  We would meet
> regularly for a couple of hours.  There would be readings.   <==nst] /*

I think that doing so in October might still be very
interesting/useful.   The /point/, of course, is to move it /offline/ to
a more /committed/ and /embodied/ and less asynchronous /setting/ to see
how it /unfolds/ differently.

> *//*
>
>  I'm feeling the same juice as some our impromptu meetups BEFORE FriAM
> became a formal deal!   We could sure use Mike Agar about
> now!*/[NST==>Of course Steve and Frank. They might or might not, be
> interested. As you know, one man’s passion is another man’s bullshit.
>   Jon Zingale, for sure.  Jenny’s partner would contribute a lot from
> his understanding of Peirce’s abduction, which is closely but
> ambiguously related to metaphor making. Jim Gattiker is a great
> seminar participant … mind like a steel trap … but don’t know whether
> this would interest him.  Sean Mood is another great seminar
> participant.   <==nst] /*

Great suggestions, we'll see if any of them /bite/!

Metaphorically (and aphorismically) yours,