[FRIAM] tools, trollers, and language

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 16:35:30 EDT 2017

Right.  My only point was to distinguish the two procedures for examining a thing, because one's choice of procedure can bias one's results. (obviously)  With EricS' very detailed throwdown in favor of hierarchical accumulation AND Russ' chosen _target_ of urban systems, I think it's critical that we choose analysis procedures that are as agnostic as possible.

We've now discussed cognitive biases toward _direction_ (up vs. down) and continuity (or population density - laminar flow - AND space vs. graph) ... even if it has taken us days and billions of emails.  Are there other biases we could eliminate?  I like, but reject, Roger's assertion that "[deep neural nets] don't care about no stinking layers".  As with using polar coordinates on an onion (or monotonic "time" in Diffusion Limited Aggregation), deep learning requires at least a sequencing of (distinct) procedures.  So, it does require layers in very much the same sense as a DLA.  On the other hand, I like considering deep learning as a thing to be analyzed, because it does allow cycles of a kind.

And again, I'm not proposing any of these _things_ are analogs/metaphors targeting "complex systems".  I'm only trying to argue for agnostic analysis tools.

TANSTAAFL!

--
☣ glen