[FRIAM] the role of metaphor in scientific thought

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 19 00:46:38 EDT 2017

Dear Friammers,

I understand that some members of the Mother Church are getting together
soon for a discussion on the role of Metaphor in Scientific Thought.  Hard
for me to imagine a meeting that I would regret missing more than this one.
I hope that some of you will post some of your deliberations under this
thread so that those of us in the Friam diaspora can have some of the value
of them.

FWLIW, The attached PDF is from a book manuscript,  pieces of which have
been kicking around for more than 40 years, which Eric Charles has been
trying unsuccessfully to get me to pull together into something publishable.
If any of you is curious, the text will help you to understand the things I
said in the recent complexity discussion and their relation to the "levels"
discussion and the metaphor discussion that follows.  The specific
discussion on metaphor is late in the pdf, so that if that is what interests
you, you can safely skip to the first section on models.  For me, a model is
just a scientific metaphor. Full stop.

If anybody had comments to share, we, of course, would be deeply grateful.

There are more chapters.

Nick