[FRIAM] the role of metaphor in scientific thought

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jun 23 12:20:58 EDT 2017

Glen -

Thanks for the thoughtful analysis and return to(ward) the point at
hand.  Your comparison of "closure" to Nick's idea of "surplus"
(intentional or not) meaning.   I accept that in programming a computer,
"closure" is a useful tool, to avoid unintended "side effects".   In
natural language, I think a certain amount of ambiguity is
*necessary*.   Perhaps not in the most dry and literal of technical
manuals or even journal papers.  But there are many other modes of
communication where I believe that ambiguity and multiple meanings and
even "side effects" or "un/intentional surplus" is not only a good thing
but perhaps critical to the goal of that communication.

I would say that exploratory brainstorming is a key example.   I would
suggest that the value of this list (to me) is precisely that mode.
There is nothing expressed literally on this list that I couldn't have
looked up for myself.   It is the collective curatorial value of this
group that makes it useful and interesting to me.   It is the eclectic
*context* of the members of this group which makes it (much) more than
Wikipedia.  After many years of reading others on this list, I
appreciate the wide perspectives offered by the computational/simulants
(e.g. Glen/Marcus), the social scientists (e.g. Nick et al), the
Educators (e.g. Angel, Sherwood, Chabon, now fled?), the non-US-born
(e.g. Vlad, Jochen, Mohammed), the exPatriot (Gary Schulz), the women
(e.g. Jenny, Merle, Dede, Patricia, et. al), the youth (Cody, Gil, ???),
the TechnoMystics (Rich Murray), the Mathematicians (Wimberly, et al),
the Generalists, the Complexitists, the Lightweights, the Heavy Hitters,
etc.

The *many* reserved lexicons and alternative uses of similar words adds
to the rich fecundity of the discussions *when* they blossom here.

I DO find it useful to niggle out of others, where there is
*intentional* vs *unintentional* surplus, and perhaps more to the point
*misintentional* or worse *malintentional* surplus.   Nick jumped me
about using "inform" a dozen threads ago, I think assuming that my
choice of that word was sloppy parroting of a certain "style" of talk
(perhaps a subdialect of PostModernism?).   I defended it as best I
could (and had to think carefully about why I chose "inform" instead of
the alternative(s) he offered which admittedly WERE more "plainspoken".
I was not offended by Nick's questioning my use of this specific word,
because it forced me to think more carefully about my use and to provide
the context to the rest of you who might actually be reading the
otherwise TL;DR material for the nuanced meaning I was trying to offer.

Ramble,

  - Steve