[FRIAM] the role of metaphor in scientific thought

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 15:33:38 EDT 2017

On 06/23/2017 12:08 PM, Steven A Smith wrote:
> Works for me, I was thinking "crypto athiest"...

Naa.  I don't qualify as any sort of atheist.  I have gods, they're just unique gods.

> Interesting that you didn't believe "a word uttered in Mass" while I, as a young adult came to believe (or at least a appreciate) a great deal of what was uttered in Mass. […] I "believed" a great deal of what he offered in those Homilies.

Hm.  I suppose we could parse "believe".  But I've had way too many arguments about the difference (or lack thereof) between belief and knowledge.  I don't enjoy them much anymore.

> I lost what little "faith" in Christian Dogma I might have had when during a summer Bible School teaching (9 years old?).  I got really excited by the many "miracles" (manna from heaven, red sea parting, burning bushes, virgin birth, rising from the dead, etc.) and when I expressed my enthusiasm, taking these to be literal and true and verifiable stories, my Bible School teacher became very stern with me, but did not attempt to explain allegory or parable to me, leaving me to believe that SHE didn't believe those stories either. Kinda undermined the magic of it all!  I got a little back years later when I came to understand allegory and parable.

Heh, I kinda wish I'd had more "people in positions of power" like that.  Maybe I did and just ignored any power they had.  My CCD teacher taught us to meditate and chant.  I knew Jesus as Buddha before I learned anything about Buddha.

--
☣ glen