[FRIAM] the role of metaphor in scientific thought

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jun 23 16:07:24 EDT 2017

Marcus-

> I was thinking of the ER=EPR example.

My intuition is that after we elaborate enough examples like this, as
well as Feynman's observation that since all (heretofore observed)
electrons appear identical, perhaps they are a *single* electron which
is everywhere/everywhen, we might come up with a "dual theory" in the
same sense that when you replace the edges of a graph with vertices and
vice-versa, you get a *dual* which is sometimes more tractable to
operate on (or think about) than the other.

> Seems like basic questions of interpretation just get kicked down the
> road indefinitely because there is math that is serviceable.   One
> could say its serviceability is what leads to improved interpretations
> (in the fullness of time), or maybe it just delays asking the hard
> questions?
>
> “There was a time when the newspapers said that only twelve men
> understood the theory of relativity.  I do not believe that there ever
> was such a time.  On the other hand, I think it is safe to say that no
> one understand quantum mechanics.   Do not keep saying to yourself, if
> you can possibly avoid it, `But how can it be like that?’ because you
> will get `down the drain’ into a blind alley from which nobody has yet
> escaped.  Nobody knows how it can be like that.”  [Richard Feynman,
> The Character of Physical Law]

Good stuff...   in Monday's Salon, we invoked the von Neumann quote: "In
mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them." and
also discussed Lakoff/Nunez' "Where Mathematics Comes From" but did not
resolve the implied contradiction (my observation in this moment, not
discussed there/then).