[FRIAM] the role of metaphor in scientific thought

Vladimyr vburach at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 23 19:55:05 EDT 2017

Just how many of these Glens are out there...
I guess they just keep sprouting up like dandelions.

The use of any Word requires a little cooperation from a group.
If I were a solipsist why would I ever need the fiction that you understood my
grunts. Why does each Glen seem to stand in different places as I prepare to hurl
an assault... All Glen's come to some end either willingly or not, same is equally true for all
the Vladimyr's however people do choose to spell it out. My name is for me only
a symbolic token, hiding the skills and scars I have accumulated . When I enter a bar and ask for dark rum
I do not have any interest in how bartender's solve problems.

He is just a man made out of many parts even many minds, not so dissimilar all told.
There is no clear consensus of many minds just the tacit agreement that we will wait
for more insight.

So a Complex Creature wishes to snare a complex cosmos with words before it recognizes
that it is a child of the entire landscape.

I still keep my old Suunto sighting compass on my bookshelf. A little floating circle in a cage of aluminium
illuminated with Thorium. It has a red sash to snare my neck, an old friend. Indeed I keep the GPS on a lower shelf
I used to store maps to locate mushroom colonies , a very clever device.
I guess the new circles adorn the earth in silent orbits. I perform actions very long before
the text is ever perfected. We are driven by someone's will not just editors.

Did we evolve to use/construct  perfect circles, since most of us can detect minute eccentricity.
Maybe the perfection is likened to a god and normal people detest those minds that find fault
 in the heavens as did  Galileo, Copernicus and Kepler. Perfection as a delusion has acquired many
foolish defenders. Though well guarded,  it,  delusion/metaphor,  still is useful.

You guys are marvellous, i wish we could meet. But reality does not always provide convenient  stage trap doors.

Vladimyr