[FRIAM] IS: Rhetoric in scientific arguments WAS: FW: Fractal discussion Landscape-bird songs

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 14:04:18 EST 2017

Glen,
To "Peirce-up" the discussion of doubt a touch. To doubt something is to be
unable to act as-if-it-were-true without reservation. So, for example, you
do not doubt Newtonian mechanics under a wide range of conditions (you are
willing to act as if it is true under many circumstances), however, there
are conditions under which you would be nervous acting as if they were
true. Your doubt is not absolute, and the "caveats" you refer to, could be
expressed as a description of the circumstances under which you start to
get nervous.

Your description of replication is good, but non-typical (particularly
among the chemists, which are Peirce's favorite scientist). We now think of
replication as part of the falsification process, but that is actually a
weird way to think about (a symptom of the degenerate state of many current
fields). The most natural reasons to replicate a research report is a)
because the outcome is itself useful or b) because you intend to build upon
it. For example, if someone publishes a novel synthesis for artificial
rubber, I would probably try to replicate it because I need artificial
rubber, or because I intended to start with that artificial rubber and try
to synthesize something new. Under those conditions, anyone trying to
replicate would be very frustrated by a failure (given some tolerance for
first attempts).

Nick,
I think Glen is prodding, in his second part at an extremely important
point, and one that I have been wrestling with quite a bit lately. It is
quite unclear why "trusting the work of other scientists" - as currently
practiced - is not simply another deference to authority. The current
resurgence of assertions that people shouldn't argue with scientists (e.g.,
that we should care what an astrophysicists thinks about vaccines, or what
a geneticist thinks about psychology) is bad, and "science-skeptics" are
not wrong when they attach a negative valence to such examples. Let us
ignore those flagrant examples, however. How do I determine how much weight
to give to a report in a "top journal" in psychology? Does it matter that I
know full well most articles in top journals turn out to have problems (as
flashy reports of unexpected results are prone to do)? And if I am
suspicious of that, what do I make of the opinion of a Harvard full
professor of psychology vs. a bartender who has been helping people with
their problem for 5 decades? Etc. etc. etc. I think there is a very deep
issue here, which I'm not sure I've ever seen explained well. I think, in
part, it is a challenge that was not as prevalent even 50 years ago, but
that may just be imagined nostalgia.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps