[FRIAM] IS: Rhetoric in scientific arguments WAS: FW: Fractal discussion Landscape-bird songs

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Fri Mar 3 12:25:52 EST 2017

Here's a spin on Eric's question about how is trusting a scientist
different from trusting an authority or a scholar.

http://sometimesimwrong.typepad.com/wrong/2017/03/looking-under-the-hood.html

concludes

but, you might say, scientists *are *more trustworthy than used car
> dealers!  sure,****** but we are also supposed to be more committed to
> transparency.  indeed, transparency is a hallmark of science - it's
> basically what makes science different from other ways of knowing (e.g.,
> authority, intuition, etc.).  in other words, it's what makes us better
> than used car dealers.

The proposal is that authors of papers need to share more about the context
of the paper so journals and readers get stuck with fewer lemons.

-- rec --