[FRIAM] Making math more Lego-like | Harvard Gazette

Russell Standish lists at hpcoders.com.au
Sat Mar 4 01:59:42 EST 2017

I'm sure it works. I used to "prove" quite a lot of theorems with some
simple 2D diagrams that required pages of dense formulae to prove
symbolically. But interestingly, I found that mathematicians not
brought up on visual mathematical thinking could not grasp what I was
talking about, so ended up having to translate the proofs into symbols
anyway.

Incidently, I tend to code the same way :).

I imagine this technqiue will only be accepted if it provides results
not achievable symbolically. Which may well be the case. Feynmann's
doodles would be another example of this.

Cheers

On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 08:40:12PM -0700, Owen Densmore wrote:
> Interesting new research making Math More Lego-like: 3-D picture-language
> has far-reaching potential, including in physics
> ​    ​
> http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2017/03/making-math-more-lego-like/
>
> ​Anyone familiar with this? Does it work? :)
>
>    -- Owen​

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Senior Research Fellow        hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
Economics, Kingston University         http://www.hpcoders.com.au