[FRIAM] A million tech jobs unfilled

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Sat Mar 4 16:58:26 EST 2017

I gotta say that I agree with Nick .. it's pretty puzzling.

Business is pragmatic, as a rule, so you just gotta think there's something
to this. Maybe fewer college graduates? College is pretty expensive. Maybe
not enough in the tech related subjects?

I do know that there is a huge difference in hiring/recruiting from when I
was working: very specific skill sets. I was amazed how specific hiring
became in Silicon Valley late in the game. When I was hired breadth of
knowledge, and ability to adapt was key. Now it's sorta a form of
impatience. I suppose it is because technology has matured so much that you
*can* search for more specific skills?

Kinda nuts.

   -- Owen