[FRIAM] !RE: A million tech jobs unfilled

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Sun Mar 5 15:11:04 EST 2017

I think catagorization of "tech" jobs is difficult. This article:

Dear President Trump: Those jobs aren’t coming back, and why would we want
them to?

http://venturebeat.com/2017/02/20/dear-president-trump-those-jobs-arent-coming-back-and-why-would-we-want-them-to/

sez:

The U.S. economy is craving skilled technology workers: There are a
quarter-million job openings for software developers in the U.S., half a
million unfilled jobs that require tech skills, and the forecast need grows
to one million within the next decade.

Note the distinction between software development, and require tech skills.

The article notes robotics in manufacturing, and as they say: Notice that
these robots run on software. So ask yourself who is taking care of them?
That’s right, software engineers.

So maybe a million is a bit over the top for "tech workers" but I bet it's
closer than your links suggest. I bet if you include web design and other
allied skills, you'd get pretty close.

   -- Owen