[FRIAM] !RE: A million tech jobs unfilled

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Fri Mar 10 07:46:33 EST 2017

Uh, nope, nothing to report on tech jobs.  I paid my age discrimination
interviewing with idiots dues many years ago.

Finished installing a refrigerator compressor yesterday, took a walk in the
50 degree but windy spring day, now expecting occasional snow for the rest
of this morning, and we have 12+ inches of snow forecast for Tuesday, but
that storm is causing all sorts of forecasting misery up and down the east
coast.

One of our tech friends found a job in the past year, but that's a crazy
story that has too many personal details and ongoing loose ends to tell.  A
lot of the people in the neighborhood are in health care, because Mass
General expanded into the Charlestown Navy Yard much like UCSF expanded
into the China Basin in San Francisco, and they bring a lot of related
business with them.  And, of course, Mass has Romneycare, so all those
businesses aren't on the verge of being Ryan/Trump/TeaParty-cared into
oblivion.  Some of the people in the boatyard appear to be technomads, our
next door neighbor spent two years sailing to the Caribbean and returning
to the same slip to go back to work coding.

LinkedIn still thinks I'm in Santa Fe, so I only hear about the thousands
of jobs of enchantment available there, and I think they're exaggerating,
but they should, because job seekers need all the encouragement they can
get, interviewing for jobs with entitled assholes is as dismal as economics
gets.

-- rec --

-- rec --