[FRIAM] rant re: Changing clocks

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Mar 10 13:42:55 EST 2017

This semi-annual ritual of changing clocks, missing appointments,
grousing, ranting, etc.   seems to have become deeply part of our culture.

I try to mostly just note it with fascination these days...  in the days
when I had a day-boss I resented it quite a bit.   I have (almost)
always been in jobs where I had some flex-time and I would often use
that to soften the blow.  I'd come in a few minutes early (or late) by
my old schedule each day until I was synced with everyone else.   Today
it means that next Monday the LANL traffic that whizzes by my house
every morning will shift a bit.  I suspect some of the early birds won't
be quite as early and some of the stragglers will be a little less
straggly (by the clock).

I love the "quickening" of the Spring, but that is the rapidly *longer*
days, not a big slug of "evening light", though for wage-slave day-job
folks, it makes some sense.   I'm surprised at YOU Glen that your own
work schedule isn't flexible enough to have already shifted toward
early?  Especially being a west-coaster working over the wire with (I am
presuming) some who are in earlier timezones?  One of MY challenges with
working *mostly* over the wire is that my clients and colleagues are
widely spread (as east as Ukraine and West as Melbourne, OZ) which means
we are *always* having to adjust our scheduled meeting to "reasonable"
times.  Fortunately my Ukranians are nicotine-fueled youth (40's now!)
who are up until 2AM their time.  My Ozzies keep fairly conventional
hours but as long as we ignore what day of the week it is where, my
afternoons are their mornings.. so I catch them fresh.

Coming from a non-urban context, most people I knew growing up left home
or arrived at their job-site at first light or sunrise and began their
tasks, no matter what the clock said.  They stayed in the field or on
the job site until they either completed their tasks or the sun went
back down.   Few of them wore wristwatches and the pommel of a saddle or
handle of the chainsaw didn't have a clock built into it.  (I can just
imagine both tools have smart-phone holders designed for them now!?)  I
can just see ranchers following the "little blue dot" on their Google
Maps until it arrives a the red dot?

When I moved to "the City", and so many people worked in office,
factory, retail contexts and their hours were all defined by the clock
and policy and convention.  It just so happened that I was in Arizona
which is the refusenik state to DST...   so *I* didn't actually
experience DST until I moved to NM 15 years later.

The larger implications of either a "federally mandated" or a
"collectively chosen" change which is simultaneously this trivial and
this fundamental is fascinating to me.   The drummers we all march to!

- Steve