[FRIAM] Natural Law by Fiat

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Mar 10 13:51:35 EST 2017

PI constant.svg != 3.2  !=3

The semi-annual specter of clock-change and our current ego-fueled
government (executive, legislative and soon to be judicial?) reminds me
of the 1897 Indiana Legislature near-miss on legislating the value of Pi
to be 3.2 for the increased convenience and reduced waste implied in not
constantly having to calculate using more expansive approximations.

For you Cosmology buffs,  what conditions would it take for the
curvature of our space to shift enough for Pi to literally be == 3 or 4?

Minkowski's "Taxicab Geometry" has a value of Pi (ratio of diameter to
circumference) of 4, so maybe the Donald, who probably has spent little
if any time away from city-blocks could be persuaded to insist on the
"Manhattan Distance" metric for all calculations.

Donald Trump's version of Flatland?  Square-land?