[FRIAM] organizations

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 23:24:29 EDT 2017

Speaking of shooting skunks: in the summer of 1962 I worked on a ranch
about 20 miles south of Santa Fe.  There was a young divorcee who lived
nearby who freaked out when she saw strangers and she left a note on our
truck threatening to shoot us.  I consulted her neighbor, who was a
professor of English Literature at UNM.  He said that if she knew who we
were she would welcome having us around (two college students on summer
break).  He suggested that I stop by and introduce myself.  I did so late
that afternoon and I took along a 12 gauge shotgun which I discretely left
outside​.  After a pleasant conversation I walked back to our place by
taking a shortcut over a mesa.  At some point I saw a skunk about 50 feet
in front of me.  If I had had a rifle I'd have made a hasty retreat.  But
instead I aimed carefully and dispatched the skunk.  The last days of the
wild west. Today I'd probably be arrested for felony abuse of an animal,
perhaps with justification.

Thank you for your indulgence.

Frank

Frank Wimberly