[FRIAM] "Drop box" phishing

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 16:25:45 EDT 2017

It seems like someone could make it sufficiently easy to isolate the highest risk interfaces in a VM or container.  E.g. rather than double-clicking on a native email app (or web browser) to read your email, you'd double-click on a native host program that launches a container for the email app (or web browser).  Then you contain the infection (or ransomable content) within the container.  Of course, that assumes two things: 1) a staged backup of the container image and 2) an easy path to purposefully move valid data out of the container and into the rest of your work environment.

Sure, data that looks valid could still creep out.  But it would help with those "uh-oh, I clicked on the wrong thing" episodes.  Here are several containers one could use:

  http://linoxide.com/how-tos/20-docker-containers-desktop-user/

It seems so obvious, either I'm missing something significant or such a convenience already exists somewhere.  Perhaps here:

  https://bufferzonesecurity.com/product/how-it-works/

But that seems very "enterprisy" or "sledgehammery".  I'd think one could do a personal version merely with a little clever scripting.

--
☣ glen