[FRIAM] the arc of ai (was Re: Whew!)

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat May 6 12:48:26 EDT 2017

Frank writes:

"I mentioned that my wife, who went to graduate school at the Harvard Ed School, is a big proponent of pre-K.  Merle said that I missed the point and that Jeff Skilling and Jared Kushner's father also went to Harvard.  I said that Ted K went to Berkeley to make the case that having alumni in prison is irrelevant. "

As to the question of whether or not argument from authority is appropriate, I had concluded from your original remark that you think is.  But, I guess, that some exceptions are to be expected like Skilling and Kaczynski.   Maybe so.

Another point of view is that while argument from authority is pervasive, even in intellectual circles, it is the kind of thinking that puts group loyalty over rationality and trust over truth.

Marcus