[FRIAM] Whew!

Robert J. Cordingley robert at cirrillian.com
Sun May 7 18:33:57 EDT 2017

FYI

2017 Personal Income Tax in New Mexico for couples is $768 + 4.9% on
taxable income over $32, 650 along with 8.3125% Gross Receipts Tax in
Santa Fe City and a Governor sworn to not raise taxes. GRT is applied to
goods (not groceries) and some services with a myriad of exemptions and
deductions that the legislature would like to clean up. Candy and soda
are untaxed groceries for GRT purposes!

Apparently, Amazon *has* agreed to collect GRT in NM as they do for
states where they have a presence. No news on details of the agreement.
Just for grins, tried to order a $400 Onkyo Receiver - a $0.61 tax was
applied while a $560 diamond pendant necklace was $0.00 estimated tax -
so may be it starts gradually depending on the goods. Certainly seems
like a revenue opportunity here and/or more to the story.

Robert C