[FRIAM] the arc of ai (was Re: Whew!)

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon May 8 15:49:47 EDT 2017

At some point, wouldn't we enter David Deutsch (or Neal Stephenson) territory?  ... where the idea is that the computation in our nervous system is mappable to the computation going on around us.  If consciousness isn't compressible because it's an artifact of that mapping, then faster neurons wouldn't make us more rational in any sense.  But it may give us super powers ... like running really fast ... or deriving nutrition from eating grass or maybe seeing a wider spectrum of color, etc.  But it wouldn't necessarily change our intent or purposeful, self-references.

I suppose we could also invoke Buzsáki or the like, as well... that the larger ("beat") frequencies of collections of neurons may not change even if the individual neurons' rate does change.

And then there's the extra-neural computation, as well, including glial cells and glucose across the BBB.  The success of your Josephson Junction ANN would become a question of the power generation and distribution, regardless of the computational question of whether the high-dimensional, multi-rate (chemical) space can be reduced to electrical signals.  (I wouldn't have gone here if I weren't currently in the throes of a massive headache. [sigh]  Will robots get headaches?)

--
☣ glen