[FRIAM] ​Academia.edu​

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Wed May 10 09:26:26 EDT 2017

I have been on both Research Gate and Academia for some time. I am not
particularly active in either (except for an occasional foray into an R.G.
forum). However, it seems evident that my uploaded works receive a wider
readership. Proprietary search engines (JSTOR, etc.) are on the outs, and
papers easily accessed via Google search and the like are much more likely
to be read and cited. Google Scholar searches R.G. and Academia and will
pop up a PDF link right next to the search results.

This is particularly obvious with regards to the professional book reviews
I write every year or two. Because the venues for the reviews aren't easy
for most to access, I doubt I get more than a handful of readers there.
However, because I tend to give the flashy titles, a few have several
hundred reads through the websites. That (I hope) helps the authors of the
reviewed books more than it helps me, but it speaks strongly to the
increased attention it is possible to get for work by virtue of posting on
those sites. This has been much, much more effective than posting to a
personal website, and takes less upkeep for steady traffic than my academic
blog.

If I was in a field that used ArXiv, and didn't secretly like the idea
of lay people and students sometimes reading my work, I wouldn't be on
either. But psychology doesn't do ArXiv, and I do secretly like those
ideas.

Our article on MOTH has 62 reads through Research Gate and 4 through
Academia (via my upload). Probably it has more reads through JASSS. In
contrast, I have an encyclopedia entry about the history of Clark
University's psychology department that has 355 reads on Research Gate and
22 through Academia. That is probably far more than have read the work via
its published source. My most read article on Academia is a statistical
simulation I published during my grad school days, which has over 1,000
reads. Aside from indicating I made a poor career choices by sticking with
my love of experimental psychology, that suggest the potential audience,
even for highly technical papers, is quite large.

Best,
Eric

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician