[FRIAM] An interesting article

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Thu May 11 01:04:09 EDT 2017

Imagine a world in which there were millions of experts on any topic, no matter how obscure.  Further imagine that one could submit papers or other kinds of work products for iterative feedback and blind review, and that distribution of the work product did not involve naming the author.  For the sake of argument, say that authors on planet A are distributed to readers on planet B and vice versa, and that the authors and readers will never meet.  (Something close to this is Wikipedia, and people do contribute to it.)  I suggest people do not really need esteem, but they need a way to get out of mental ruts -- they need inputs.  Rather, the indoctrinated submissives come to believe in esteem as the currency of mental health, while the authoritarians are laughing at them all the way to the bank.  When the author writes, "People, who don't fear for their safety, but who despair of ever achieving love or belonging, are the most submissive", it is important to note that there could be people who don't fear for their safety but also don't despair of achieving love or belonging.   They tend to a garden in contented obscurity.