[FRIAM] Facebook. And this it not a troll

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Thu May 18 23:13:07 EDT 2017

I'm following Melanie Mitchell's SFI complexity mooc.

https://www.complexityexplorer.org/courses/74-introduction-to-complexity-spring-2017/segments/5687

In the first video, it was mentioned Facebook is a fascinating example of a
complex system, and in particular, how information traverses the network.

So here's a group question or two:
- If you use Facebook, how do you use it and why?
- And if yes, how is it an information source for you?

My interest is the contrast between Facebook and Twitter. Twitter is "the
most information per square inch" but Facebook seems to me to be all over
the map.

A second difference is that there are people for which Facebook *is* The
Web. By that I mean they enter it and stay there. It is their "email",
"web", "social", "team (slack)", "tv" (FB recently started streaming
video), and more. Sorta like the browser is for other ecosystems.

So any interesting observation on The FaceBook Phenomenon?

   -- Owen